Level 1 – Screening Study
Initial investigation into whether any flooding or surface water management issues exist which may warrant further consideration.
This assessment is based upon readily available information and will provide a general indication of the potential risk to the site. The purpose of this Assessment is to identify any potential sources of flooding and determine if further investigation, in the form of a Level 2 FRA (Scoping Study) or a Level 3 FRA (Detailed Study) is required.
Level 2 – Scoping Study
A qualitative appraisal of the flood risk posed to the site and the potential impact of the development on flood risk elsewhere.
A Level 2 FRA is required if the results of a Level 1 FRA indicate that a site may lie within an area which is at risk of flooding or the proposed development may increase the flood risk to others.
Typically a Level 2 FRA includes the following information; in addition to the information presented in a Level 1 FRA:
- An appraisal of the availability and adequacy of existing information
- Liaison with the Environment Agency, Local Authority, Sewerage undertaker, Internal Drainage Board, with respect to flooding and drainage issues at the Site
- Walkover survey to assess
- potential sources of flooding
- the likely routes for flood waters
- access and escape routes in times of flood
- Comparison of predicted flood levels with Site levels
- Preliminary assessment of the existing and proposed surface water drainage systems
- An appraisal of the scope of reducing the flood risk to acceptable levels
- The production of a FRA Report in accordance with National Planning Policy Framework
Level 3 – Detailed Study
A quantitative appraisal of the flood risk posed to the site and the potential impact of the development on flood risk elsewhere.
A Level 3 FRA is required if a Level 2 FRA concludes that further quantitative analysis is required or the Environment Agency specifically request further information on a site for which limited data is available.
Typically a Level 3 FRA includes the following information; in addition to the information presented in a Level 2 FRA:
- A detailed assessment of the flood risk to the site from all sources
- Hydraulic Modelling to quantify the flood risk to the site
- A detailed assessment of the existing and proposed drainage systems